HIV, Hepatitis and sexual health must be priority areas for public health campaigns. Our aims are clear. We need to:
- Increase awareness
- Increase testing
- Reduce late diagnosis
- Reduce transmission
- Reduce stigma
- One in five of those living with HIV are unaware they are carrying the infection.
- 1 in 12 people worldwide are living with the Hepatitis B or C virus.
- People do not consider themselves at risk of infection.
- There is a lack of medical awareness of, and testing for, STIs of all kinds – including HIV and Hepatitis.
- In recent years, there has been a lack of media attention resulting in low awareness and significant ongoing stigma, and this remains a major barrier to testing.